Thank you from St Mary’s and St John’s Justice and Peace Group for your help in 2019.
Your generosity has made a difference both locally and around the world.
This is just some of what we achieved together last year:
Main activities in 2019
- We are one of the lead groups working to make Hexham a Real Living Wage town (meetings with Churches Together and other local entities; partnering with Forum Cinema to show Ken Loach’s film Sorry We Missed You with a special screening including talks and Q&A, and with an info table and leafletting at each showing of the film; info table at Hexham Job Fair; and we made a film about the living wage in partnership with Hexham TV).
- We hosted a ten-week study group of Pope Francis’ environmental and social justice encyclical Laudato Si.
- We supply donations and volunteers for Hexham’s West Northumberland Food Bank.
- Fundraising for CAFOD (Family Fast Day, Water Aid projects, Hands On projects).
- Collecting signatures for CAFOD’s Take Climate Action petition.
- Parish Christmas Card, the proceeds from which went to ohelp CAFOD's Water Aid project.
- Attending and circulating information about local, regional, Parliamentary and global environmental actions, projects, films and talks.
- We keep a monthly prayer vigil for peace in Palestine and Israel.
- Fundraised for Fairtrade and Traidcraft.
- We served refreshments at Coffee Mornings.
Groups supported in 2019
- Hexham’s West Northumberland Food Bank.
- Diocesan Refugee and Destitute Asylum Seekers' Project.
- Hexham East Regeneration Action Plan at Number 28 Derwent Rd - Number 28 hosts a wide range of initiatives including a community garden, a branch of the Northumberland Credit Union, clubs and activities for all ages in partnership with lots of other organisations.
- Jubilee Debt Campaign.
- CAFOD Family Fast Day.
- CAFOD’s Water Aid projects.
- CAFOD’s Hands On project.