Saturday of the 5th Week of Lent
- First Reading = Ezekiel 37: 2 1-28
- Responsorial Psalm = Jeremiah 31: 10-13
- Gospel Acclamation = Ezekiel 18: 31
- Gospel Reading = John 11: 45-56
Today’s Mass will be live streamed from Saint Mary’s, Hexham across our Partnership and beyond, from 10:30am.
Today’s Liturgical colour is violet
This is a dark colour, “the gloomy cast of the mortified, denoting affliction and melancholy”.
Liturgically, it is the colour of Advent and Lent, the seasons of penance and preparation.
Some Wisdom from Pope Francis
- When the Lord looks at our fragility, he invites us to take care of it not with fear but with courage.
“Don’t be afraid, I have overcome the world!” (John 16: 33)
“I am with you always until the end of the world.” (Matthew 28: 20)
Therefore, the awareness of one’s own fragility and its acknowledgement, as Peter did, will not make the Lord withdraw from us, but, on the contrary, will move him as in the case of Peter to send us on a mission, to urge us to set out into the deep water and become fishers of people.
- What is the image we have of God? Perhaps he appears to us as a severe judge, as someone who curtails our freedom and the way we live our lives. But the Scriptures everywhere tell us that God is the Living One, the one who bestows life and points the way fullness of life.